Skip to main content

Receipt, Deposit & Disbursing Confidential Funds

Reference Number: MTAS-352
Reviewed Date: 09/24/2021

Receipt and Deposit of Confidential Funds
As with any municipal cash transaction, pre-numbered receipts should be issued to record the distribution and return of cash for undercover operations. If the city recorder makes a cash advance to the police chief or designee for an undercover investigation activity (such as a drug buy), a receipt shall be issued to record the amount of the advance. Once the investigation activity has been completed and the cash is returned to the city recorder, another receipt shall be issued for the returned amount.

The returned cash shall be deposited into the Drug Fund checking account in a timely manner.

Disbursing Confidential Funds
As mentioned previously regarding confidential funds, the law enforcement agency may use a second Drug Fund checking account as a confidential funds account under the control of the police chief or his or her designee. MTAS recommends use of a separate checking account as a “best practice.” Disbursements are to be made either to the police chief or other employee(s) through the use of pre-numbered checks. A separate checking account simplifies the recording procedure. All checks issued from this account are to be signed by the chief of police or designee and shall be made payable to the person receiving the funds.

All employees who participate in cash transactions in any capacity shall have a fidelity bond to protect the law enforcement agency and the municipality. The annual employee bond should be issued in an amount that would equal at least the largest single cash transaction in which the employee would normally participate over the course of the year.

Before purchasing bonds on your employees, it is a good idea to check with your liability insurance carrier. It’s possible that automatic coverage may already be in effect or may be available to insure the activities of employees who handle cash.