MORe Search

Public Works Projects

Reference Number: MTAS-482
Tennessee Code Annotated
Reviewed Date: October 13, 2020
Print This PagePrint This PageSend by EmailSend by EmailPDF versionPDF version

After a municipal planning commission adopts a comprehensive plan, no public works (public parks, buildings, structures, or public utilities) may be "constructed or authorized" unless the governing body or board (including the governing body or board of the state’s political subdivisions, such as county commissions) first asks for the planning commission’s approval of the public work’s location. If the planning commission disapproves, the commission must communicate its reasons to the governing body, board, or official having jurisdiction over the project. The governing body, board, or official may overrule the planning commission and construct the public work. T.C.A. § 13-4-104. 

When constructing or providing maintenance on a public works project, a municipality is not required to have the architecture, engineering or landscape architecture plans, specifications and estimates made by a registered architect, registered engineer or registered landscape architect, if the "contemplated expenditure for the completed project does not exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000), and the work does not alter the structural, mechanical or electrical system of the project." T.C.A. § 62-2-107.


Need to Broaden your Search?

Search Our Full Site

Use our comprehensive search tool to find out more information about your topic.