Palo Alto, California - Tree Technical Manual
The Palo Alto Tree Technical Manual is a separately published document issued by the city manager through the departments of Planning and Community Environment and Public Works to establish specific technical regulations, standards and specifications necessary to implement the tree protection ordinance and to achieve the city’s tree preservation goals. These goals are intended to provide consistent care and serve as benchmark indicators to measure achievement in the following areas:
- Ensure and promote preservation of the existing tree canopy cover with the city limits;
- Provide standards of maintenance required for protected and city-owned trees;
- Provide a standardized content for tree reports required by the city;
- Establish criteria for determining when a tree is unsafe and a possible threat to the public health, safety and welfare;
- Provide standards for replacing trees that are permitted to be removed; and
- Increase the survivability of trees during and after construction events by providing protection standards and best management practices.