The University of Tennessee Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS) seeks applications for a Finance and Accounting Consultant in its Knoxville or Johnson City office. MTAS is an agency of the University of Tennessee Institute for Public Service that provides technical assistance, consulting, training and research services for Tennessee towns and cities.
The Finance and Accounting Consultant (one of six at the agency) provides professional advice, technical assistance, and training in the area of municipal financial management to approximately 72 cities and towns in east Tennessee, regardless of size, on a broad range of issues and problems. In addition to providing direct customer assistance, this position also researches, develops, and maintains timely technical reports and publications on critical financial issues.
To learn more about what MTAS is all about, view this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJKphbIvKwI
To learn more about what the role of an MTAS finance & accounting consultant, click here: https://youtu.be/twru44XrHSE
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Finance and Accounting Consultant:
• Provides financial management advice and technical assistance to customers
• Develops and instructs training courses for municipal officials and employees
• Researches, drafts, and maintains publications on critical financial issues for municipal officials and employees
• Updates reference materials on agency databases which are utilized by internal staff as well as customers
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. A master’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field is preferred.
With a bachelor’s degree, this position requires at least eight years of work experience in a financial related position with five years of governmental accounting experience. With a master’s degree, it requires five years of work experience in governmental accounting.
Eight years of work experience in a financial related position in municipal government is preferred.
This position requires a knowledge and understanding of the issues affecting municipal finance operations to establish credibility and effective working relationships with local officials.
The position also requires a professional certification (CPA, CGFM or CPFO) or ability to obtain one within 18 months of hire date. The professional certification must be current and in good standing throughout the time of employment.
This position requires managerial, analytical, conceptual, and interpersonal skills. These skills are used daily in identifying a specific city’s financial problem and providing the advice and assistance to resolve the problem. A high level of cognitive or intuitive skills are needed to fully understand and implement successful solutions to financial problems.
The position requires the ability to:
• Adapt from simple financial and accounting tasks to high level and complex financial and accounting issues
• Communicate effectively with officials of varied financial skill levels
• Develop course materials in areas of accounting and finance, and general municipal operations
• Teach in a classroom setting
• Prioritize projects
• Travel statewide with overnight travel
Knoxville or Johnson City
Salary range is $75,038.57-$105,053.99 depending on qualifications.
This position will be opened until filled. Applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter, a resume and three references with contact information.