What can we help you find today?

Wastewater Treatment Project

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: February 23, 2017

Original Author: 
Chlarson, John
Date of Material: 
Jun 9, 2005


Wastewater Treatment Project

An estimate of construction costs and operating expenses for a mechanical, public owned wastewater treatment facility.

Knowledgebase-Wastewater Treatment ProjectHarrogate Sewer-

Construction costs on a mechanical public owned wastewater treatment works are going to be in the neighborhood of $5.50 to $6.00 per gallon of capacity.

Unit Costs of treating 1,000 gallons of Wastewater (O & M)
A. < 10,000 gallons per day $5.07
B. 10,000 to 1 million gallons per day (mgd) $2.29
C. 1 mgd to 10 mgd $1.19
D. > 10 mgd $1.06

Harrogate has a 2004 certified population of 4,425. The University of Tennessee has projected a population of 4,916 for Harrogate in 2020. A 20 year planning projection for the wastewater treatment works would take us out to the year 2025, and the population would project to approximately 5,000.

Using Tennessee’s Design Criteria for Sewage Works , sewage discharge from residences is calculated at 100 gallons per day (gpd).

5000 residents X 100 gpd/resident = 500,000 gallons per day

Therefore, a plant that considers only Harrogate’s residential needs would need to be designed for a minimum 500,000 gpd treatment capacity.

Using the construction cost figures above, the plant could range in cost from $2,750,000 to $3,000,000.

Operation and maintenance costs would be calculated using row “B” from the table above.

“B.” 10,000 to 1 mgd: $2.29 cost/1000 gals of wastewater.

500,000 gpd X $2.29/1,000 gal = $1,145 per day operations and maintenance.

$1,145/day X 365 days/year = $417,925/year annual cost of operations and maintenance.


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.