Original Author: Hardy, Pat
Date of Material: 07/19/2017
Purchasing--Policies and procedures
Fleet management--Fuel supply
Reviewed Date: 07/29/2021
This policy is established in order to provide direction on fuel expenses incurred by Town employees on Town business.
Town of New Market
Policy on the Use of Fuel Cards
Fuel expenses are a significant part of the Town’s budget. This policy is established in order to provide direction on fuel expenses incurred by Town employees on Town business.
Fuel cards provide a convenient means of paying for business fuel without having to use personal resources. Fuel cards are issued directly to employees and assigned to a particular vehicle or employee. Town employees should assume that expenses incurred for fuel are subject to review and scrutiny by Town officials and the Town’s auditor.
This policy applies to all employees and elected officials, both full and part time, as well as others who may utilize vehicles on official business.
1. Fuel cards may be used for official Town business only. Fuel cards may not be used for any other purpose, including personal fuel.
2. Fuel cards will be made available to certain employees who are required to use a vehicle for Town business or to travel on official Town business.
3. Each employee who is issued a fuel card is required to sign a copy of this policy, indicating they have read, understand, and will abide by this policy.
4. The employee is responsible to keep the card safe and to prevent the card from being lost or stolen. If a fuel card is lost or stolen the employee shall immediately report the incident to the City Recorder. Once the card has been reported lost or stolen the employee is protected from unauthorized charges.
5. Fuel cards are issued primarily for the purpose of purchasing fuel. On certain occasions the card may be used for vehicle maintenance or for emergency purchases related to the vehicle. Prior to using the card for such a purpose the employee must receive authorization from the City Recorder.
6. All fuel purchases shall be made using the fuel card, except as provided below.
7. Receipts shall be kept for all fuel purchases, and turned in to the City Recorder.
8. If for some reason the employee cannot use their official fuel card, they should use personal means to purchase fuel. The employee must document the date, time, and mileage of the vehicle in this case. A receipt for the purchase shall be turned in to the City Recorder for reimbursement. The reason for non-use of the fuel card shall be provided to the City Recorder.
9. Upon termination from employment with the Town of New Market, the employee must return the card to the City Recorder prior to being issued their final check.
Employees name: ________________________________ Date: _________________
I have read, understand, and will abide by this Policy: _________________________________________
New Market fuel card policy.pdf