Original Author: Darden, Don
Date of Material: 10/29/2001
Public safety officers
Reviewed Date: 06/02/2021
Job description for the position of Safety Program Director for the City of Erin.
CITY OF ERIN
SAFETY PROGRAM DIRECTOR
The employee is responsible for developing and carrying out a safety program that complies with Federal and State OSHA rules and regulations in the interest of employee work safety. Duties also include support services under the general supervision of the Mayor. Instructions to the employee are general and the employee must consider different courses of action and sometimes deviate from standard operating procedures. Independent judgment is required to complete some tasks.
- The employee will operate a computer, copier, and other modern office equipment. The employee may also operate a light duty vehicle.
- Work performed is sometimes outdoors and some tasks may be performed regardless of weather conditions when necessary. The employee will be exposed to dirt, dust, loud noises, and tobacco smoke.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Develops and administers public sector safety program in compliance with OSHA regulations and city ordinances
- Ability to evaluate and make decisions
- Ability, physically and mentally to climb to different heights and function in close quarters for inspections.
Additional Examples of Work Performed:
(Any one position may not include all of the listed duties that may be performed)
- Serves as enforcement agent for TOSHA and OSHA regulations
Develop a written safety program and meet monthly with the City Administrator and department heads to discuss workers’ safety issues.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to ascertain facts by personal contact, observation, and the examination of records
- Ability to explain and interpret pertinent provisions of laws, ordinances, and regulations
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations firmly, tactfully, and impartially
- Ability to keep records and make operational reports
- Ability to intermittently sit, stand and stoop and must distinguish between shades of color
- Work requires use of protective devices, such as, hard hats
- Ability to make math calculations
- Ability to write programs and organize facts
- Graduation from a standard high school, or equivalent
- Must pass drug screen by licensed physician
- Must meet city’s weight control policy
Safety Program Director.pdf