What can we help you find today?

Planning Commission Members

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: June 21, 2017

Original Author: 
Darden, Ron
Date of Material: 
Jul 25, 2005


Planning Commission Members

MTAS was asked three questions about the membership of the planning commission.

Knowledgebase-Planning Commission Members July 25, 2005

Mr. Ray McElhaney, Councilman
City of Rutledge
P.O. Box 36
Rutledge, Tennessee 37861

Re: Planning Commission

Dear Councilman McElhaney

Bonny Mills asked the following questions on your behalf:

1. Does the mayor appoint a councilperson to the planning commission?
2. Do the members of the planning commission serve at the pleasure of the mayor?
3. Can the city council serve as the planning commission?

Under state law the mayor is automatically a member of the planning commission. The city council appoints one member to the planning commission. All the other members of the planning commission are appointed by the mayor and serve at the pleasure of the mayor.

It is the opinion of MTAS legal Counsel and myself that the mayor may not appoint the governing body to serve as the planning commission. We are of the opinion that it is the intent of the legislature that, with the exception of the mayor and a council member, that the other members of the planning commission be appointed from the citizenry. Please see the attached letter from Senior Legal Consultant Sid Hemsley addressing this same issue with Jefferson City in 1997.

Please provide a copy of this correspondence to the mayor and council and call me if you have questions or comments. Thank you for consulting with MTAS.

Respectfully Yours,

Ron Darden
Municipal Management Consultant

Reference Document(s): 


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.