Print This Page
Send by Email
Reviewed Date: June 21, 2017
Ordinance Opting Out of Mandatory Planning Commission Training
An ordinance relative to the training and continuing education of members of the planning and zoning commission.
Knowledgebase-Ordinance Opting Out of Mandatory Planning Commission Training
ORDINANCE NO. _____________
AN ORDINANCE OF THE BOARD OF MAYOR AND ALDERMEN OF THE TOWN OF SOMERVILLE, TENNESSEE RELATIVE TO THE TRAINING AND CONTINUING EDUCATION OF MEMBERS OF THE SOMERVILLE PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION.
WHEREAS, Chapter 862 of the 2002 Public Acts of the Tennessee General Assembly establishes a training and continuing education program for members of municipal planning and zoning commissions; and,
WHEREAS, Section 6, paragraph 9 of the aforementioned Chapter 862 of the 2002 Public Acts of the Tennessee General Assembly stipulates that the legislative body of a municipality may opt out of said training and continuing education programs for the members of its planning and zoning commission; and,
WHEREAS, the Somerville Board of Mayor and Aldermen wish to exercise the Town’s right to opt out of said training and continuing education programs due to the anticipated costs associated with such training.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE BOARD OF MAYOR AND ALDERMEN OF THE TOWN OF SOMERVILLE, TENNESSEE, AS FOLLOWS:
1. Town to opt out of State mandated training for members of the Planning and Zoning Commission. Pursuant to Chapter 862 of the 2002 Public Acts of the Tennessee General Assembly, Section 6, paragraph (9), the Town of Somerville hereby exercises its right to opt out of all State mandated training and continuing education requirements for members of the Somerville Planning and Zoning Commission.
2. Training requirements may be reinstated. Nothing in this ordinance shall be construed to prohibit the Somerville Board of Mayor and Aldermen from appropriating funds for training and/or continuing education programs for members of the Planning and Zoning Commission, nor shall this ordinance prohibit the Town of Somerville from opting into State mandated education and training programs at a later date.
3. Effective Date. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its date of passage by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
4. Severability. Should any section, paragraph, sentence, clause, or phrase of this ordinance or its application to any person or circumstance be declared unconstitutional or otherwise invalid for any reason, or should any portion of this ordinance be pre-empted by State or Federal law or regulation, such decision or legislation shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions of this ordinance or its application to other persons or circumstances.
5. Repealer. All ordinances and parts of ordinances which are inconsistent with the provisions of this ordinance are hereby repealed to the extent of such inconsistency.
PASSED AND APPROVED THIS ____ DAY OF ________________, _______ BY A ROLL CALL VOTE OF THE SOMERVILLE BOARD OF MAYOR AND ALDERMEN.
DATE OF 1ST READING:___________________
DATE OF 2ND READING:___________________