Original Author: Smyrna
Date of Material: 04/22/2005
Code enforcement--Building inspection--Personnel
Code enforcement--Building inspection
Reviewed Date: 05/07/2021
A job description for the position of municipal codes inspector.
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Municipal Codes Inspector
DEPARTMENT: Planning and Codes Dept.
REVISION DATE: 4/22/05
REPORTS TO: Building Official
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
PAY GRADE: 10
Under the direction of the Building Official, is responsible for technical work of average difficulty. Conducts municipal code and zoning inspections and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform municipal code and zoning inspections.
- Receive and investigate complaints relative to municipal codes and zoning ordinance such as may relate to noise, odor, setbacks, weeds, trash, junk cars, placement and size of signs, etc.
- Order correction of violations and re-inspect for compliance.
- Attend Smyrna Municipal Court as needed to enforce municipal code and zoning violations that have not been corrected.
- Review and approve or deny applications for sign permits and assure continuing compliance.
- Work safely observing all OSHA, Federal, State, and City regulations. Report any accidents immediately to supervisor.
- Correctly wear appropriate personal protective equipment when required.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment. Report any malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor.
- Any other duties as assigned by manager/supervisor.
- Conduct behavior at all times in a professional manner to reflect positively on customer’s perception of town facility.
- Promote the teamwork environment. Assist coworkers when necessary.
Help maintain the cleanliness of equipment, work area and facility. Report incidents or malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide coverage in absence of other personnel.
- High school diploma or GED
- One to two years of experience involving dealing with the public, preferable in a local government environment. Must have a valid Tennessee Driver’s License and good verbal and written communication skills.
Past experience in Codes enforcement a plus.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to perform multiple tasks
- Excellent inter-personal and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and with a group
- Excellent mathematical aptitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with other employees and the general public.
Knowledge of the principles and practices relating to municipal code and zoning enforcement
- Computer, printer, various office machines (phone, calculator, copier, fax machine, etc)
- Cell phone
- Town vehicle
- Will be exposed to elements of nature including extreme heat or cold, rain, snow and other unfavorable weather
- Generally physical and working conditions are such that minor cuts, abrasions, bruises or burns may be encountered with various jobs.
- Will be required to enter confined space areas.
- Work environment can be dirty with unpleasant odors
Exposure to animals such as rodents, snakes, spiders, dogs etc.
USUAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to bend, stoop, crawl, stretch, and walk.
- Must be able to climb.
Must be able to enter and exit vehicles on a regular basis.
- Implement and assure adherence to Town of Smyrna’s policies and procedures regarding Equal Employment Opportunity.
- Adheres to Town of Smyrna initiative on business ethics and conduct.
Adheres to federal/state laws and regulations regarding MSDS, OSHA and EPA compliance.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job, or to require that other, or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or workload etc.)
Director's signature Date
EMPLOYEE UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEMENT
Employee's signature Date
Municipal Codes Inspector.pdf