Original Author: Santa Barbara, Calif.
Date of Material: 02/01/2000
Forests and forestry
Parks and recreation--Grounds maintenance
Parks and recreation--Personnel
Parks and recreation--Planning
Reviewed Date: 06/21/2021
Job description for the position of Landscape Architect / Project Coordinator.
CITY OF SANTA BARBARA
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT/PROJECT COORDINATOR
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Perform professional level landscape architect and park planning work; administer various park construction projects; provide information and assistance to the public on park and recreation related matters; and provide project design and design review, planning, and construction inspection on park and recreation capital and improvement projects.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from higher-level management staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS – Essential duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Perform landscape architectural design functions including construction irrigation, planting, grading, and conceptual design work.
2. Coordinate and oversee multiple projects; prioritize projects and maintain accurate progress records as appropriate.
3. Maintain a variety of computer and related files on assigned projects; report project status to appropriate commissions.
4. Confer with and advise State and local agencies and organizations as well as the general public regarding City park and recreation matters.
5. Develop cost estimates and prepare project budgets.
6. Review designs and development proposals and applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies.
7. Check plans to determine if plans will qualify for zone clearances.
8. Develop graphics for in-house documents.
9. Provide information pertinent to the development of the General Plan; recommend and develop policies and procedures for future zoning, environmental and other issues that impact City growth and expansion.
10. Perform long-range parks and recreation master planning and needs assessment.
11. Acquire required permits for parks and recreation related projects.
12. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Principles and practices of park planning and development.
Techniques and procedures of drafting.
Principles of irrigation system design.
Principles of earth grading and drainage.
Architectural design techniques and methods.
Laws underlying the general plan, zoning and land development.
Applicable environmental laws and regulations.
Current literature, information sources and research techniques in the field of park planning.
Interpret planning and zoning programs to the general public.
Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
Principles and procedures of record keeping.
Principles of mathematics.
Prepare park landscape and irrigation plans.
Operate a wide variety of office equipment including a computer.
Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
- Walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
Operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
- Making observations
- Communicating with others
- Reading and writing
Operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Three years of landscape architect experience.
Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in landscape architecture, planning, or a related field.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a California State Landscape Architect License.
Office/field environment; exposure to inclement weather conditions.
Essential and marginal functions [may] require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, and walking for prolonged periods of time.
Landscape Architect/Project Coordinator
Assistant Parks and Recreation Director
Parks Project Coordinator
Landscape Architect Project Coordinator.pdf
Landscape Architect Project Coordinator.doc