What can we help you find today?

County Gift of Real Property to a City

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: June 21, 2021

Original Author: 
Darden, Ron
Date of Material: 
Jul 27, 2005

Land use--Laws and regulations

County Gift of Real Property to a City

MTAS was asked whether the county could give a parcel of land to the city.

July 27, 2005

Honorable V.E. Wilson, Mayor
City of Lake City
P.O. Box 66
Lake City, Tennessee 37769

Re: County Real Property Gift

Dear Mayor Wilson

I recently advised you that a county may not give real property to a city. As of June 7, 2005, Public Chapter Number 336 amends Title 12, Chapter 9 to allow one or more public entities to contract with one or more public entities for the transfer of real or personal property when the public entity receiving the conveyance uses the property for a public purpose and the governing body of each public entity authorizes the transfer. The public entity transferring the property is not required to declare the property surplus. (T.C.A. 12-9-110)

Anderson County should be able to transfer real property to your city under the above procedures. Enclosed is a copy of Public Chapter Number 336-Transfer of Property Among Public entities.

Please call me if you need further assistance.

Respectfully Yours

Ron Darden
Municipal Management Consultant

Reference Document(s): 


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.