What can we help you find today?

Classified and Commercial Driver Licenses Chapter 1340-1-13

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: February 08, 2017

Original Author: 
Wolf, Dennis
Date of Material: 
Apr 16, 2002

Emergency vehicles
Licenses and permits--Motor vehicles
Motor vehicles--Laws and regulations
Traffic--Laws and regulations

Classified and Commercial Driver Licenses Chapter 1340-1-13

Commercial driver licenses are not required for drivers operating emergency vehicles.

Knowledgebase-Classified and Commercial Driver Licenses Chapter 1340-1-13

Classified and Commercial Driver Licenses Chapter 1340-1-13

To whom it may concern:

Your question: "Does a firefighter need a commercial drivers license or an "F" endorsement on a Class "D" license to drive large fire apparatus?" can be answered by referring to the following section of the State of Tennessee's Official Rules and Regulations.

You can also link to the full section on the state's website at:


(Rule 1340-1-13-.07, continued)
(2) Commercial driver licenses are not required for drivers who operate the vehicles described below, under the conditions specified for each:
(a) Vehicles which are controlled and operated by a farmer or nurseryman that are used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm or nursery, and are not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier and are used within one hundred fifty (150) miles of the person’s farm or nursery;
(b) Vehicles designed and used solely as emergency vehicles, which are necessary for the preservation of life or property, or the execution of emergency governmental functions performed under emergency conditions and not subject to normal traffic regulation. This exemption shall apply to vehicles operated by paid or non-paid personnel;
(c) Vehicles of the United States Department of Defense when operated by military personnel on active duty, members of the Reserves and National Guard on active duty including personnel on full-time National Guard duty, personnel on part-time training and National Guard military technicians or civilians who are required to wear military uniforms and are subject to the code of military justice;
(d) Vehicles designed and used primarily as recreational vehicles as defined in 1340-1-13-.02; or
(e) Vehicles leased strictly and exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-business purposes.
(3) Drivers who operate the vehicles described in subpart (2) above must comply with all requirements specified elsewhere in 1340-1-13-.03 and 1340-1-13-.04 for a Class D license with the proper endorsement.


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.