What can we help you find today?

City Permits for Mass Gathering Events: an MTAS Survey

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: June 25, 2021

Original Author: 
Adams-O'Brien, Frances
Date of Material: 
Jul 31, 2013

Festivals and celebrations
Licenses and permits

City Permits for Mass Gathering Events: an MTAS Survey

Six cities were asked several questions about permits for special events and mass gatherings.

City Permits for Mass Gathering Events
MTAS Research and Information Center
July 2013


City Does your city require an application and permit to hold a special event or “mass gathering”? If yes, how do charge for the permit and associated services provided by the city? (i.e. police or public works services) Could you provide a copy of your policy and fee structure by email or fax?
Brentwood Permits are not issued. The procedure is to go before the planning committee for approval. There is a fee for going before the planning committee, but otherwise, no charge. n/a
Bristol Yes No Charge Written policy not available, will send copy of application forms (RECEIVED)
Cleveland Yes, a permit is needed for events and a separate permit if there is a tent. $500 refundable deposit is required for events.
$5000 refundable deposit for tents
Proof of liability insurance (must be for $1,000,000)
Will send policy and forms
Collierville Yes No charge for permit, may be a fee for renting certain spaces, like parks Will send policy
Gallatin No permits required for most things, there are parade and demonstration permits. There are no fees associated with holding events. Depending on the type of event, if it is on city property, must have proof of liability insurance In city code
LaVergne Anything on the street requires a permit, like a parade, 5k, or demonstration. No permits required for festivals held in city parks. No fees In city code


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.