Skip to main content

Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS)

Original Author: Norris, Margaret
Date of Material: 12/04/2008

Businesses--Laws and regulations--Adult businesses
Licenses and permits

Adult Oriented Establishment License and Permit

Reviewed Date: 06/14/2021
MTAS was asked to provide an example of a license and permit for adult oriented establishments.

From: Margaret Norris, MTAS Management Consultant
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:41 PM
Cc: Adams-Obrien, Frances
Subject: Adult Oriented Establishments


Thanks for your call yesterday morning. I immediately got on the phone and started calling cities that have similar code provisions to yours regarding adult oriented establishments. I talked to six different cities and none of them had licenses. What I discovered was that they passed the ordinance but had not yet had one apply for a license, so they never created that document.

So, I called Chattanooga and was able to get a copy of the permit that they issue to adult oriented establishment employees (i.e. cashiers at book stores) and to entertainers. That proof is attached. I am still working on getting a copy of the actual license that the business is supposed to display. Frances, one of our librarians, also struck out when she called Knoxville; however, if you need sample applications she has copies of those that she can provide you.

In lieu of not being able to get a sample license, I took a stab at creating one, based off of the beer permit template I have. It is also attached. I had one of the attorneys look at it, and he gave it an "okay." I would suggest adding a colored city seal watermark, just to make it a little more Caryville specific and also to make it that much more difficult to duplicate.

I hope this gets you what you need. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I may be of any other assistance.

Happy Holidays!

Margaret Norris
Municipal Management Consultant

Main Document(s):
file adult oriented establishment license.pdf
Reference Document(s):
file AEP Proof.jpg