Original Author: MTAS
Date of Material: 08/19/2002
Reviewed Date: 05/04/2021
Job description for the position of Accounting Clerk.
Employees in this class are under close supervision of the Chief Accountant and the work is checked by daily reconciliation of monies and by periodic audits of receipts. This position receives and maintains routine records of cash receipts for payment of bill, fees or taxes. Work requires considerable facility in counting money and making change but is performed according to established and well-defined procedure. Performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Read difficult source documents and computer screens
· Compute invoices and issue checks for accounts payable and cash receipts
· Post receipts, vouchers and routine journal entries;
· Receives, counts, balances and reports cash and negotiable instruments for payment of bills, fees and taxes;
· Counts reconcile and bands monies received.
· Operates a computer, cash register, check endorser, validating machine, adding machine and other office machines;
· Uses 10 key calculator by touch
· May be required to lift or move journals, ledgers or records which can be heavy.
· Work and communicate effectively with the public and vendors, inter and intra departmental personnel.
· Sit and use PC for extended periods of time.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
· Print computer reports and mail out customer bills;
· Prepare financial statements for board reports;
· Files records and reports and performs related clerical work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of methods, practices and terminology used in financial, statistical and clerical work;
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of cashiering.
· Knowledge of business arithmetic.
· Some knowledge of office procedures, methods and equipment with particular reference to receiving and accounting for the receipt of cash.
· Ability to learn to make rapid and accurate arithmetic computations.
· Skill in the operation of accounting computer software, validating machines, cash registers and other common office machines.
· Ability to take oral or written instructions.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
· Graduation from a standard high school or GED;
· Good mathematical background preferred;
· One year experience in accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash handling duties;
· Some experience as a cashier in handling money preferred;
· Data entry, typing 40 words per minute and use of 10 key calculator are required