Departmental purchase orders allow the using department to handle small purchases without having to process a requisition through the purchasing department.
Departmental purchase orders are to be used for buying items which cost * or less.
The department head may fill out a departmental purchase order. The purchasing department must keep a list of people authorized to sign a departmental purchase order for a department head.
How to Prepare
A proper departmental purchase order will contain the following information:
- Number (No.) — Assigned by the purchasing department
- Date — The date the order was prepared
- Dept. — Ordering department
- Vendor — Firm or person from whom purchase is being made
- Vendor's address — Address of vendor
- Quantity — The amount ordered of each item described
- Description — Brief description of item(s) to be bought
- Account to be charged — Complete budgetary code of using department
- Price — Amount equal to quantity times unit cost
- Purchase authorized by — Signature and title of department head
- Articles or service received — Signature of person receiving articles or service and date received
A departmental purchase order should be distributed as follows.
- A copy to the vendor
- An acknowledgment copy returned signed from the vendor to the department head, confirming the order. This will be attached to the packing slip, delivery ticket, invoice, material receiving report, etc., by the receiving department and forwarded to the purchasing department. The purchasing agent will initial and forward to the finance officer for payment.
- A copy will be retained by the purchasing department for filing
The department head is responsible for keeping expenses within budgetary appropriations and must try to secure at least three quotes for those items which cost * or less.
These purchase orders will be numbered and issued to the using department by the purchasing department.
It is the responsibility of the department head, considering price and quality, to determine the best source of supply. All local sources should be considered before a purchase is made. The purchasing department will assist in vendor selection upon request.
If the purchase is above the dollar limit, under no circumstances may multiple forms be used in an effort to avoid filling out a purchase requisition.
* Amount to be established by the governing body.