SUBJECT: UTILITY CUTS – CITY STREET REPAIR POLICY
FROM: Calvin D. Clifton. Public Works Director
Date: March 5, 2001
Purpose: The purpose of this procedure is to clearly define the process for receiving utility cut repair requests from the Athens Utilities Board (AUB) and making repairs to such utility cuts on City maintained streets by the City of Athens Public Works Department.
Definition: A utility cut is an excavation into a city street and/or sidewalk surface for the purpose of installing, repairing, or otherwise maintaining a utility service line. These will include, but are not limited to, natural gas, water, sanitary sewer, and electrical service lines, pipes, and cables.
The Athens Utilities Board (AUB) typically makes these utility cuts. This procedure applies primarily to the City of Athens Public Works Department and the Athens Utilities Board. However, other utilities, public or private, may participate in this arrangement if both parties are in agreement.
Upon Completion of the Utility Work
- Upon completion of the utility work at the site, Athens Utilities Board (AUB) or other utility company staff will backfill the excavation area with crushed stone properly compacted to prevent sinking.
- The backfill material in the utility cut shall be left even with the existing surface to prevent potential damage to vehicles or tripping hazard on sidewalks.
- AUB staff should submit a utility cut repair request to the Public Works Service Center by fax at 744.2772 as soon as possible upon completion of the work.
- If this work order request is received by the Public Works Department after 12:00 noon on weekdays or after regular work hours, the Public Works Department will not inspect or address the utility cut until the following work day and any and all claims will be the responsibility of the AUB.
- Signs delineating the broken pavement, sidewalk, or other utility cut shall be installed at the location. These signs shall remain intact until the street is repaired.
- The AUB should be aware of this at all times and take the necessary precautions to see that the excavation site is left in a safe manner.
Upon Receipt of the Utility Cut Repair Request
- Upon receipt of the utility cut repair request from the AUB, the Public Works Department will stamp the form as received with date and time.
- The form will be copied and kept on file by the department secretary.
- The work request form will be forwarded to the appropriate street maintenance personnel.
- An inspection of the utility cut will be made as soon as possible to determine the condition of the backfill and what repair measures will be necessary.
- If this request form is received after 12:00 noon on weekdays, an inspection of the utility cut must be conducted first thing on the next working day.
- The Street Superintendent or Street Maintenance Foreman will see that all temporary backfill materials are checked on a regular basis to prevent potential damage to vehicles and tripping hazards.
- Public Works staff will schedule the appropriate permanent repair for the utility cut as soon as possible.
- Standard hot mix asphalt and concrete materials will be used for permanent repairs to streets and sidewalks.
Once the Street Repair Work is Completed
- Once the street repair is completed, the signs that were installed regarding the utility cut will be removed by the City and returned to the AUB.
- The street foreman will submit all costs associated with the repair to include materials, labor, and equipment to the City Finance Department. Equipment rates will be based on approved TDOT rates. Labor will be billed at actual rates plus benefits.
- The Finance Department will prepare invoices for these repairs that will be sent to the individual divisions at the AUB.
Complaints or Claims Resulting from Utility Cuts
There will obviously be complaints and/or claims resulting from utility cuts on City streets or sidewalks. These complaints should be directed to the proper individual at either the AUB or the Public Works Department. These should be addressed as follows:
- If it is determined that the complaint or claim occurred prior to the receipt of the utility cut repair request by the Public Works Department (or prior to the next working day if after 12:00 noon or on weekend/holiday), the AUB shall address the complaint or claim.
- Likewise, if it is determined that the complaint or claim was received after the utility cut repair request was properly received by the Public Works Department, the City of Athens Public Works Department shall address the complaint or claim.
City Manager Date
City of Athens
General Manager Date
Athens Utilities Board
Public Works Director Date
City of Athens