Knowledgebase-Historical Commission By-Laws
CITY OF LAFOLLETTE
The name of the organization shall be the Lafollette Historical Commisson.
ARTICLE II-COMPOSITION AND VOTING
The Historical Commission members shall be appointed by the Lafollette City Council. Members shall serve ___________year terms. The City Council may appoint new members to fill the unexpired terms of Historical Commission members. A majority of the members present shall constitute a quorum. No member may vote on any matter involving property in the Historical District which said member has a legal or equitable ownership interest.
It shall be the duty of the Historical Commission to review and approve all Historical District applications and proposals, amendments and to develop an application procedure. The Historical Commission shall advise the city council on historical matters.
The Historical Commission shall elect a chairman and vice-chairman from its membership. Such election shall require participation by a majority of the members present at that election. The vice-chairman shall serve in the absence of the chairman.
The election of officers shall take place on the first meeting of January on even calendar years, and the terms of office shall be for two years or until such time as new officers are elected.
DUTIES OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE-CHAIRMAN
1. The chairman shall preside at all meetings of the Historical Commission.
2. The chairman shall authenticate by his signature all resolutions adopted by the Commission.
3. The chairman shall represent the Commission at hearings, conferences, and other events as required.
4. In the absence of the chairman the vice-chairman shall perform the duties of said chairman.
5. In the absence of the chairman and vice-chairman, the chairman’s designated representative shall perform the duties of said chairman.
6. In the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman, the chairman’s designee, the vice-chairman’s designated representative shall perform the duties of said chairman.
7. The chairman shall be responsible for the recording of proceedings, the preparation of minutes and resolutions as adopted; and dissemination the minutes and resolutions adopted at the meetings; the preparation and distribution of the agenda forty-eight (48) hours prior to any meeting.
The presence of a simple majority of the membership, or designated alternates, at meetings shall constitute a quorum for business transaction. A simple majority of the members present and voting shall be required for the passage of a resolution or motion.
ARTICLE VI-RULES OF ORDER
The commission shall conduct business as prescribed in Robert’s Rules of Order Revised unless prescribed otherwise by amendment to these By-Laws. The Vice-Chairman shall be the commission’s Parliamentarian.
ARTICLE VII-AMENDMENT TO BY-LAWS
These By-laws may be amended by affirmative vote of the majority of the members present at a Commission meeting where a quorum is present. Such proposed amendments shall be presented for consideration at a regular commission meeting, with voting deferred until the meeting subsequent to the meeting at which the By-Laws change was proposed.
Approved this ______________day of ____________,2003.