What can we help you find today?

Growth Plan Participation

Print This PagePrint This Page Send by EmailSend by Email
Reviewed Date: May 22, 2017

Original Author: 
Darden, Don
Date of Material: 
Sep 4, 2001

Conflict resolution
Growth management
Intergovernmental relations

Growth Plan Participation

The City of Monteagle has the right to participate in the development of a growth plan for Franklin County.

Knowledgebase-Growth Plan ParticipationSeptember 4, 2001

The Honorable Monty Adams
County Executive
Franklin County Courthouse
One S. Jefferson St.
Winchester, TN 37398

Dear Mr. Adams:

The City of Monteagle has called to my attention that it is not being permitted to participate in the development of the growth plan for Franklin County.

As you know part of Monteagle is located in Franklin County. Tennessee Code Annotated 6-58-104 provides that the mayor of each city, or the mayor’s designee, shall be a member of the coordinating committee. Any growth plan for Franklin County would have to be considered by the city board in Monteagle in the same way that the plan is considered by Winchester, Cowan, Dechered, and other incorporated cities in Franklin County.

I have advised the City of Monteagle of its right to participate in the development of such a plan and to contest any growth plan to the Local Government Planning Advisory Committee in which the city was not allowed to participate in developing. Please be advised that I have discussed this matter with our senior legal consultant, and he has informed me that the City of Monteagle cannot be denied the right to participate in developing the 20-year growth plan.


Don J. Darden
Municipal Management Consultant

cc Mr. William C Killian
#1 Oak Avenue
Jasper, TN 37347


About Our Knowledgebase

Information written by MTAS staff was based on the law at the time and/or a specific sets of facts. The laws referenced may have changed and/or the technical advice provided may not be applicable to your city or circumstances. Always consult with your city attorney or an MTAS consultant before taking any action based on information posted to this website.