MTAS Finance & Accounting Consultant
Regular Full-time, Pay Grade 43
The University of Tennessee Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS) seeks applications for a Finance and Accounting Consultant in its Jackson office. MTAS is an agency of the University of Tennessee Institute for Public Service that provides technical assistance, consulting, training and research services for Tennessee towns and cities.
The Finance and Accounting Consultant provides professional advice, technical assistance, and training in the area of municipal financial management to cities and towns in Tennessee, regardless of size, on a broad range of issues and problems. In addition to providing direct customer assistance, this position also researches, develops, and maintains timely technical reports and publications on critical financial issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides financial management advice and technical assistance to customers
• Develops and instructs training courses for municipal officials and employees
• Researches, drafts, and maintains publications on critical financial issues for municipal officials and employees
• Updates reference materials on agency databases which are utilized by internal staff as well as customers
Job Location: Jackson
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. A master’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field is preferred.
The position also requires a professional certification (CPA, CGFM or CPFO) or ability to obtain one within 18 months of hire date. The professional certification must be current and in good standing throughout the time of employment.
This position requires at least eight years of work experience in a financial related position with five years of governmental accounting experience. Eight years of work experience in a financial related position in municipal government is preferred.
This position requires managerial, analytical, conceptual, and interpersonal skills. These skills are used on a daily basis in identifying a specific city’s financial problem and providing the advice and assistance to resolve the problem. A high level of cognitive or intuitive skills are needed to fully understand and implement successful solutions to financial problems.
The position requires the ability to:
• Adapt from simple financial and accounting tasks to high level and complex financial and accounting issues
• Understand the issues affecting municipal finance operations to establish credibility and effective working relationships with local officials
• Communicate effectively with officials of varied financial skill levels
• Develop course materials in areas of accounting and finance, and general municipal operations
• Teach in a classroom setting
• Prioritize projects
• Travel statewide with overnight travel
Each employee that drives a vehicle for work-related business must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Applicants are encouraged to review all position requirements prior to applying. Salary is based on a combination of professional experience and qualifications.
For best consideration, applications should be submitted by July 19, 2019.
Applicants should apply electronically here. Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter with a minimum of three references. Position is open until filled.
UT Institute for Public Service, 1610 University Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37921; Phone: (865) 974-6621 | Fax (865) 974-1528