|Original Document: |
Text of Document: Deborah Woodlee
Town of Gruetli-Laager
Deborah, this is what the town needs to do to make the police department operational again:
1. Pass a resolution stating that the Gruetli-Laager Police Department will begin operations on_____(date)_______. Resolution attached.
2. Appropriate money in the budget for the Police Department by Ordinance. This can be done at a later date, but should be done before June 30. I would do it much sooner.
3. Write a letter to:
Tennessee Bureau of Identification
901 R.S. Gass Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37216
Copy of recommended letter is attached.
4. Gruetli-Laager will need a user agreement with the communications center or system for the use of radios.
5. Hire the two police officers, and one will need to be designated superior to the other officer, even though his title may not be police chief. He will need to sign the communications agreement. From a practical standpoint, the officer should be hired before this agreement is signed, since the superior officer will need to sign it.
6. Section 13(b)(20) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) exempts cities with fewer than five police officers from paying overtime.
If you need assistance with the budget ordinance, please let me know.
Don J. Darden
Municipal Management Consultant
1-615-532-2588 (or mobile--615-476-6943)