|Original Document: |
Text of Document: ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY
The employee is responsible for secretarial and clerical work involving considerable public contact. Exacting skills must be used in handling difficult situations, tight schedules, and inflexible deadlines. Duties also include other support services under the general supervision of the City Administrator and Mayor. Some independent judgement is used in performing tasks. The employee must understand the municipal organization, operating procedures and departmental policies to consider different courses of action.
· The employee will operate a computer, typewriter, fax machine, copier, and other modern office equipment.
· The employee works indoors in an office environment and may be exposed to tobacco smoke.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
· Greets office visitors, ascertains their need, assists them with their problem or refers them to appropriate persons.
· Makes appointments for the Mayor and City Administrator.
· Answers telephone, provides information, and routes calls to appropriate persons.
· Takes and transcribes dictation.
· Composes and prepares routine correspondence.
· Sets up and maintains filing system.
· Types correspondence, work sheets, budget proposals, grant applications, and other documents.
· Prepares agendas for meetings which includes collecting, duplicating and organizing supporting documents.
· Accurately types 50 words per minute.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
(Any one position may not include all of the listed duties or duties which may be performed.)
· Performs a variety of other administrative, secretarial, and clerical tasks.
· Collects City property taxes and maintains a tax receipt file.
· Posts clerical accounting data to proper ledgers.
· Processes accounts payable.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
· Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
· Knowledge of City organizational structure.
· Knowledge of organizational rules, regulations, procedures, and functions.
· Knowledge of basic posting methods.
· Ability to take and transcribe dictation at a working rate of speed.
· Ability to type accurately from plain copy and from rough draft.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to compose a variety of memoranda or letters with only general instructions.
· Ability to receive, screen, and give varied information to callers, many of whom are important in professional, public, or community groups.
· Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly.
· Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
· Ability to use keyboards, accurately on calculators, typewriters, and computers.
· Graduation from a standard high school including or supplemented by courses in general office practices and typing or equivalent.
· 2 years experience in responsible clerical-typing work.
· Must pass drug screen by licensed physician.
· Must meet City's "Weight Control Policy"