|Original Document: EMS JOB DESCRIPTION.pdf|
Text of Document: EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
SALARY RANGE: Depending on experience & Qualifications FLSA STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The position performs responsible administrative work in planning, organizing and directing the Emergency Medical Services Program for Washington County, Tennessee.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position plans, directs and administers the Emergency Medical Services Program for Washington County. The work includes responsibilities for the selection of equipment and vehicles and for assuring that EMS personnel are properly trained in emergency medical care services. The work is done under the general supervision of the Washington County-Johnson City Emergency Medical Services Board of Directors, by review of records, reports, board meetings, and the overall effectiveness of the Emergency Medical Services Program.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, organizes, administers and supervises the emergency medical services program according to established policies and procedures;
- Coordinates emergency medical services with local medical, fire protection, law enforcement, rescue agencies and ambulance services;
- Recruits, supervises and evaluates the work of departmental employees; administers the evaluation and disciplinary processes and addresses personnel issues;
- Prepares and administers the emergency medical services budget and oversees the expenditures and revenues of the budget;
- Attends meetings and conferences: gives talks to service groups and other agencies about emergency medical services;
- Responds to disasters to monitor and coordinate emergency medical services in conjunction with other local officials and agencies;
- Maintains training and recertification records for emergency medical services personnel;
- Serves as a liaison between the department and other agencies by being involved in attending meetings of various task forces and committees;
- Coordinate with the media, business and public agencies to develop and maintain public information and educational programs;
- Plan, organize and administer all training programs to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations;
- Coordinates and administers a quality assurance and improvement program aimed at improving the quality of emergency medical services;
- Plan and/or coordinate the maintenance of EMS facilities and equipment to ensure continuous readiness for immediate activation if needed; and
- Serve as a non-voting board recording secretary.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The position requires a thorough knowledge of the laws, regulations, and policies of governing emergency medical services and care. Considerable knowledge of advanced emergency care practices, procedures and techniques. Ability to plan, organize and direct operations of a large multi-site emergency medical services department. Must be capable of advanced development and management of the budget, including the ability to forecast revenues and expenditures and to analyze financial statements and audits. Must have a strong ability to communicate orally and in writing and to maintain effective working relationships with employees and other agencies. A thorough knowledge and skillset related to the management of employees is required, including the ability to motivate, discipline, and develop a quality workforce. Ability to prepare clear and concise records, reports and files. Knowledge of computers and effective procedures for their use, including an ability to use Excel, Zoll, and other applicable software. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries and complaints. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages ratios and other functions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in public or business administration or a field related to emergency medical care is preferred. Experience in advanced life support as an EMT-Paramedic supplemented with a minimum of five years of progressively responsible emergency medical care supervisory and management experience. Equivalent combinations of experience, education and training, which provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities, will be considered.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Tennessee and an EMT-Paramedic license in Tennessee within 3 months. The incumbent must be willing to relocate to the Johnson City-Washington County area within 1 year.
OTHER REQUISITES: From time to time the incumbent may be assigned special duties by the EMS Board of Directors or, on a temporary basis, may be asked to assist other local Governments and public agencies. This job description should not be construed as an all-inclusive statement of every task required of this position, but as a fair representation of the great majority of the work. Every effort will be made in advance to inform the incumbent of the temporary additional assignment, which under no circumstances are intended to constitute a demotion.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Task involves the regular, and a times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces, and lifting or carrying moderately heavy (20-50 lbs.) items.
ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS: For the majority of tasks the work is performed in a controlled office environment. There are however exposures to adverse environmental conditions during emergency activities.
SENSORY REQUIREMENTS: Task requires color perception and discrimination. Task requires sound perception and discrimination. Task requires odor perception and discrimination. Task requires depth perception and discrimination. Task requires texture perception and discrimination. Task requires visual perception and discrimination. Task requires oral communications ability.