|Original Document: |
Text of Document: ORDINANCE NO.
AN ORDINANCE OF THE TOWN OF BAILEYTON, TENNESSEE PROHIBITING HEAVY VEHICLE TRAFFIC ON MOST STREETS.
WHEREAS, Town streets are not designed to handle heavy vehicle traffic and the use of town streets for such purpose creates a safety hazard and results in increased maintenance and repair costs for streets; and
WHEREAS, it is occasionally necessary for certain heavy vehicles to travel in residential areas and exceptions should be made for these circumstances; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen of the Town of Baileyton, Tennessee:
Section 1. A new Chapter 8 is added to Title 15 of the Baileyton Municipal Code as follows:
15-801. Heavy vehicles. No tractor-trailer, nor any category of truck with a Gross
Vehicle Weight in excess of 10,000 pounds, may be operated upon the streets of Baileyton other than on Van Hill Road, Horton Highway, Main Street between and those streets designated as a State or Federal Highway.
15-802. Exceptions. The following are exceptions to this chapter:
(1) Such heavy vehicles as are traveling on streets by necessity in order to permit the operator to make a local delivery or accomplish some other limited, lawful, occasional, and temporary purpose. In the event such a vehicle causes damage to a street they shall be liable for all costs to repair said street;
(2) The operation of heavy vehicles upon any street where necessary to the conduct of business at a destination point within the city provided streets allowed for truck traffic are used until reaching the intersection nearest the destination point. In the event such a vehicle causes damage to a street they shall be liable for all costs to repair said street;
(3) The operation of emergency vehicles upon any street in the city;
(4) The operation of school buses;
(5) The operation of vehicles owned or operated by the city, public utilities, any contractor or materialman which is and while engaged in the repair, maintenance or construction of streets, street improvements, utilities, or sanitation collection within the city.
Section 2. This ordinance shall become effective from and after its final passage, the public welfare requiring it.
_____________________Passed first reading: _______________________Passed second reading: