|Original Document: |
Text of Document: Use of City Vehicles
Amendment to the Personnel Policies 1. Application: This policy shall apply to all employees and officials who use Town vehicles. Use of Town vehicles shall be considered a privilege, not a right, and shall only be allowed when this policy is followed. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.
2. General: All Town vehicles are for official use only and all operators of such vehicles must have a valid State of Tennessee driver’s license. Operators of Town vehicles shall exercise good judgment in utilizing them and shall not drive, use, or park vehicles in such a manner that will cause unfavorable comment or reflect discredit upon the Town. Only city employees and approved volunteer firefighters are allowed to drive city owned vehicles. Only city personnel and persons on city business are allowed to ride in city vehicles. No family members are allowed to ride in or drive a city owned vehicle except in an unforeseen emergency and as soon as possible after such an emergency, the incident should be reported to the department head or mayor.
3. Approval: Any use of Town vehicles must be approved by the employee's supervisor.
4. Observance of Laws: Operators of Town vehicles shall observe all traffic laws, including the use of seat belts, at all times.
5. Maintenance: Operators of Town vehicles shall be responsible to notify their supervisor of any problems or maintenance needs related to the vehicle. Operators who are assigned vehicles to take home or on a routine basis shall be responsible for the general maintenance and proper care of the vehicle. They shall refrain from making anything but minor adjustments. These operators will be responsible for the appearance and cleanliness of vehicles, both interior and exterior.
6. Safety and Efficiency of Operation: Operators should not leave vehicles unattended with keys in the ignition, nor leave the motor idling for extended periods, as it is damaging to engines. Unattended vehicles should be locked. It is also the responsibility of each operator to insure the following methods for reducing fuel consumption are strictly adhered to :
- Strict observation of the speed limit.
- Reduce unnecessary idling of vehicles.
- Avoid over-acceleration of starting of vehicles.
- Reduce the use of the vehicle whenever possible.
7. Accidents and Negligence: All accidents involving vehicles must be reported immediately, and a supervisor called to the scene. Damage to any type of vehicle caused by negligence of the operator may be cause for disciplinary action.
8. Incidental Use: Town employees who are assigned vehicles and required to drive home are permitted to use the vehicle for incidental purposes only. For example, vehicles may be used for meal and break stops taken in the course of employment or on the way to and from home that does not materially increase the number of miles a vehicle is driven.