Knowledgebase-State Street Aid

Information Product

Title:State Street Aid
Summary:MTAS was asked whether State Street Aid funds can pay for water and sewer relocation in the street.
Original Author:Darden, Ron
Product Create Date:09/14/2005
Last Reviewed on::02/19/2010
Subject:Streets--Finance; Taxes--Gasoline and motor fuels; Utilities--Relocation
Original Document: State Street Aid.pdf

Reference Documents:

Text of Document:
September 14, 2005

Mr. Murry Hawkins, City Administrator
City of Ashland City
P.O. Box 36
Ashland City, Tennessee 37015

Re: State Street Aid

Dear Mr. Hawkins

You inquired about using Sate Street Aid funds for the relocation of water and sewer utilities that are involved in street work.

While State Street Aid legislation does not specifically address the use of funds to relocate water and sewer utilities, common law requires that water and sewer utilities bear the expense for the relocation of these utilities from a street right-of-way. MTAS is of the opinion that State Street Aid funds cannot be used for relocating water and sewer utilities from the right-of-way.

State Street Aid funds can be used to pay for other expenses associated with the street work. Please call me if you have questions or comments.


Ron Darden
Municipal Management Consultant