|Original Document: |
Text of Document: DEPARTMENT POLICY
SUBJECT: DISTRIBUTION OF MULCH MATERIALS
FROM: L. Shawn Lindsey, Public Works Director
Date: January 10, 2006
The City of Athens Public Works Department collects brush, leaves, and related yard waste from properties located within the City Limits. These materials are stock piled and /or processed at the Public Works Service Center. Periodically these materials will be available for distribution.
It is the intent of the City of Athens to make these mulch materials, produced or collected by the Public Works Department, available to City of Athens residents and/or City of Athens employees for their personal use. During periods of surplus, materials will be made available to all individuals.
The following rules and conditions apply:
· These materials are for use by City residents or employees for their personal use or for use of the general public during times of surplus.
· Commercial use or re-sale of these materials is strictly prohibited.
· Materials will be loaded into pickup trucks and/or utility trailers by public works staff.
· No large commercial type trucks, dump trucks, or trailers will be allowed.
· Individuals wishing to obtain these materials should check in with the Public Works Secretary and be willing to show proof that they are City residents or employees.
· These materials will be loaded in the afternoons at 3:00 p.m., preferably on Fridays.
· All materials are considered “yard waste” and may contain foreign materials such as sharp rocks, metal fragments, poison ivy/oak, thorns, splinters, glass fragments, etc.
· The City of Athens cannot be responsible for any injury or exposure to the above materials as a result of handling the mulch material.
· The individual hauling these materials is responsible for covering or otherwise securing their load.
· The City cannot be responsible for the loss of these materials onto the public right-of-way or onto private property or damages once it is loaded onto a private vehicle.
· Once this material is loaded onto a private vehicle, it becomes the property and responsibility of the individual hauling the material. The individual hauling the material relieves the City of Athens of any and all liability or potential liability.
It is the intent to make these materials available for use by as many individuals as possible. Quantities may be limited. However, in the event that there becomes an excess of material, larger quantities may be distributed.
City Manager Date
Public Works Director Date