Knowledgebase-Contractor Complaints

Information Product

Title:Contractor Complaints
Summary:MTAS was asked about filing a complaint with the Tennessee State Contractor Licensing Board and filing a homeowner warranty claim.
Original Author:Darden, Ron
Product Create Date:05/08/2009
Last Reviewed on::03/19/2010
Subject:Contractors--Licenses and permits; Contractors--Warranties for service; Licenses and permits; Construction
Original Document: contractor complaints.pdf

Reference Documents:

Text of Document: May 8, 2009

Mr. Taylor Brandon, City Administrator
City of Cornersville
P.O. Box 128

Dear Taylor

During my visit of May 6, we discussed the requirement of paying a $250.00 fee for filing a complaint with the Tennessee State Contractor Licensing Board. There is no fee for filing a complaint with the State Licensing Board.

Many homeowner warranty programs offered by building contractors require a $250.00 fee for filing a warranty claim. The provisions and requirements of the homeowner’s warranty program and those of the state licensing board are separate. Regardless of any homeowner’s warranty program, homeowners should file legitimate complaints against building contractors with the Tennessee Board of Licensing Contractors located at 500 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville, Tennessee.

A contractor’s license is required for all contracts in excess of $25,000. A home improvement license may be required in Bradley, Davidson, Hamilton, Haywood, Knox, Robertson, Rutherford or Shelby Counties if the cost is $3,000 or more. It appears that home improvement contractors in Marshall County are not required to be licensed, unless the contract is in excess of $25,000.

Please call me if you have questions about filing complaints with the State Licensing Board.


Ron Darden
Municipal Management Consultant